<h3>Inter Milan’s Josep Martínez Involved in Tragic Car Accident That Killed 81-Year-Old Man</h3><p>A devastating accident in Italy’s <strong>Como province</strong> has left the football world in shock after <strong>Inter Milan goalkeeper Josep Martínez</strong> was involved in a <strong>fatal road collision</strong> that claimed the life of an <strong>81-year-old man</strong> in an electric wheelchair.</p><p>The incident occurred early Tuesday morning, according to local police, who confirmed that Martínez was driving when his vehicle <strong>struck the elderly man</strong>, who was reportedly traveling along a cycle path near the roadside. Initial reports indicate that the <strong>electric wheelchair may have veered unexpectedly into traffic</strong>, resulting in the tragic collision.</p><h3>Eyewitness Accounts and Police Investigation</h3><p>Authorities in Como quickly responded to the scene. Witnesses told investigators that the elderly man was navigating an electric wheelchair along a designated cycling lane adjacent to a main road when the accident occurred. “The car driven by Inter goalkeeper Josep Martínez hit a man who was in an electric wheelchair traveling on a cycle path alongside a road in the province of Como,” police told <strong>Reuters</strong>.</p><p>The 27-year-old Spanish footballer, known for his recent performances in Serie A and the UEFA Champions League, <strong>immediately stopped his car</strong> and attempted to assist the victim. According to early reports, Martínez called emergency services and remained at the scene until paramedics arrived. Unfortunately, despite his efforts and those of emergency responders, the <strong>victim was pronounced dead at the scene</strong>.</p><p>Police have since launched a <strong>full investigation</strong> to determine the circumstances of the crash. Preliminary findings suggest that the elderly man’s wheelchair may have swerved suddenly onto the road, leaving the driver with little time to react. However, officials have stated that <strong>all possibilities remain open</strong> until the investigation concludes, including factors such as lighting, speed, and road conditions.</p><h3>Inter Milan Responds With Silence and Sympathy</h3><p>Following the accident, <strong>Inter Milan</strong> canceled a scheduled press conference that was set to take place ahead of <strong>Wednesday’s Serie A match against Fiorentina</strong>. The club has yet to release an official statement, but sources close to the team suggest that both Martínez and his teammates are “deeply shaken” by the tragedy.</p><p>Within football circles, the incident has sparked an outpouring of sympathy for both the victim’s family and the young goalkeeper, who reportedly remains in contact with local authorities and is cooperating fully with the investigation.</p><p>A club insider, speaking to Italian media, said: “Josep is devastated. He stayed with the victim until help arrived and has been deeply affected by what happened. Everyone at the club is offering him emotional support.”</p><h3>A Promising Career Overshadowed by Tragedy</h3><p>Martínez, who joined <strong>Inter Milan</strong> earlier this year, has been widely regarded as one of Spain’s most promising goalkeepers. Having previously played for <strong>RB Leipzig</strong> and <strong>Genoa</strong>, his transfer to Inter marked a major step forward in his career.</p><p>Known for his composure and shot-stopping ability, he had recently been praised for his performances in both Serie A and European fixtures. But now, his rising career faces an unexpected emotional challenge as he grapples with the weight of this tragic event.</p><h3>Broader Context: Safety and Responsibility</h3><p>The incident has also reignited discussions around <strong>road safety for people with disabilities</strong> in Italy. Advocates are calling for improved infrastructure to protect wheelchair users and cyclists who share lanes near major roads. Several campaigners have urged local municipalities to enhance lighting, signage, and separation barriers between cycle paths and vehicular lanes to prevent similar tragedies in the future.</p><p>Police in Como have confirmed that the area where the collision took place has been the site of previous safety complaints due to <strong>narrow cycling paths</strong> and <strong>insufficient visibility at night</strong>.</p><h3>The Road Ahead</h3><p>As investigations continue, Martínez is expected to remain available for questioning but has <strong>not been charged</strong> with any offense at this stage. Authorities will rely on traffic footage, witness statements, and vehicle data to establish the exact sequence of events.</p><p>While the outcome of the investigation is still pending, the tragedy serves as a somber reminder of how quickly life can change — for both the victim’s family and the young athlete involved.</p><p>For now, both the <strong>football community</strong> and <strong>Italian authorities</strong> are focusing on compassion, caution, and clarity, hoping to honor the life lost while ensuring that such incidents are prevented in the future.</p>