trending-news

trending-news

News Image
September 11, 2025 50

Viktor Axelsen’s Tough Comeback: Defeat Marks Return After Surgery

<p><strong>Emotional Axelsen Struggles in Comeback After Six-Month Hiatus</strong></p><p><strong>Hong Kong:</strong> Fans eagerly anticipated the return of Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen, the two-time Olympic badminton champion, after a six-month absence from competition. However, his comeback at the Hong Kong Open 2025 did not go as hoped.</p><p>On Wednesday, Axelsen played his first match since undergoing back surgery earlier this year but was defeated in straight games by Japan’s rising star Kodai Naraoka. The fifth-seeded Naraoka dispatched Axelsen 21-15, 21-7 in just 37 minutes, marking the Dane’s first loss to the Japanese shuttler in seven meetings.</p><p><strong>A Rusty Return</strong><br>Axelsen’s performance reflected the challenges of returning from injury. The 31-year-old admitted that his preparation was far from ideal, compounded by a fever in the days leading up to the tournament. “It was nice to get out there again, but I wish I enjoyed it more,” he said, appearing visibly emotional after the match, according to the Badminton World Federation (BWF).</p><p><strong>Setting High Standards</strong><br>Known for his discipline and meticulous approach, Axelsen struggles when his performance does not meet his own lofty expectations. “I set very high standards for myself, so performing at what I’d consider a relatively low level is hard to accept,” he admitted, highlighting both his disappointment and determination to return to top form — the form that brought him Olympic gold in Tokyo 2020 and Paris 2024, as well as a reign as world No. 1.</p><p><strong>Kodai Naraoka Shines</strong><br>While Axelsen faced challenges, Naraoka showcased his growing talent. The Japanese fifth seed played aggressively, exploiting gaps in Axelsen’s movement and stamina. The victory was a milestone for Naraoka, who capitalized on every opportunity to challenge one of badminton’s greatest names.</p><p><strong>Looking Ahead: China Masters</strong><br>Despite the loss, Axelsen sees it as the first step in a longer comeback. He will next compete at the China Masters, aiming to regain rhythm and confidence. “I know where I want to be. This is just the beginning of working my way back,” he said.</p><p><strong>A Career Defined by Resilience</strong><br>Axelsen’s early exit in Hong Kong is unlikely to define his return. His career has been marked by persistence and excellence:</p><p>Olympic gold medals in 2020 and 2024.</p><p>A dominant period as world No. 1, known for towering smashes and tactical intelligence.</p><p>A reputation as one of badminton’s fiercest competitors, combining athleticism with mental toughness.</p><p>For now, Axelsen’s focus remains on rebuilding fitness and sharpening his competitive edge for the remainder of the 2025 season.</p><p><strong>Conclusion</strong><br>The Hong Kong Open defeat serves as a reminder of the hurdles athletes face after long injury layoffs. Yet, with Axelsen’s resilience and track record, his setback is likely temporary. Fans will eagerly watch his performance at the China Masters, anticipating the next chapter in the comeback of one of badminton’s modern legends.</p>

Top